Sunday 21 November 2010

Reason, and reasonable doubt.

Sometimes, more recently of late, I wonder if my untouched state at the advanced age of 28 is symptomatic of something else entirely. As I have no sapphic leanings of any sort, I am sure that sexuality is not the issue. Although I can appreciate the aesthetic of a beautiful woman, it is, and has always been, exclusively male beauty that stirs my interest. I say beauty, because beauty is not only the preserve of the feminine and gentle - there is an undoubted beauty in the clean lines and leonine grace, restrained power, of the male physique at its' best. 'Handsome' has pejorative overtones when applied to a female, unless by a person of a very specific age and class, and in its' true usage implies a certain generosity - in any case, it is a term I dislike when used as a descriptor of masculine beauty.

I digress... Although I respond quite viscerally to a well-crafted description or depiction of sexual desire, I cannot ever recall having that reaction to any man I have met. Certainly, I have been attracted to a face or figure, an intellect or a perceived emotional state, but put bluntly, I have never felt the animalistic desire to rip off clothing - his and mine - so that we might be skin to skin, to physically become two parts of one entity, or even the desperate urge to kiss furiously, as though, in kissing, one's oxygen supply was restored. Is this animalism, this desperation to connect, truly a part of desire, or merely a construct of literature, art and film - a device to excuse physical infidelity or incontinence? I do not know. Perhaps I have simply never met the right man to inspire these overweening feelings, needs, that seem to be a part of the lives of others (in a side note - do see the German film of the same name - spectacular, and, in an age of increasing governmental surveillance of our lives, containing an important message).

Or, to avoid being vulnerable, to avoid the possibility of being hurt, have I erected - no pun intended - walls to contain any physical expression of desire? It cannot help that I inhabit the physically-restrained spheres of upper- and upper-middle-class Britain - famously repressed, though often deeply sexually deviant beneath the layers of Victorian starch. Between social mores and personal insecurities, am I trapped forever as a victim of my own failure to develop past the pre-adolescent in terms of all things sexual? I read in the Sunday papers of the 'rise of the asexuals' and wonder if I fit that description by dint of circumstance, and how many others find themselves there, unwittingly. What is often ignored by a society that involves sex in everything, is that desire must be not only reciprocated, but matched by opportunity, openness and freedom from fear if it is to be consummated - that the fire must burn fiercely in both parties in order to create a bonfire of the self-doubt, self-protection and lack of opportunity that characterises so many lives, my own not least among them.

Finally, is it not me and my issues at all, or is it a product of a world where the old ways, the old orders have been so completely discarded? In previous eras, although virginity was prized, rather than disdained, venues existed, ways existed of meeting partners who might conceivably have the particular combination of features, both physical and non-physical, to excite desire. 'Suitable' sounds dull, but does at least imply some chance of agreement on fundamental issues, which enhances the likelihood of desire founded upon intellect and personality, and the old rituals of courtship might reasonably have been expected to provoke physical desire, not least by the manner in which it was repressed. I suspect that desire, true desire, like curiosity and art, flourishes in adversity. Without these avenues, how many of us - virginal or not - remain stranded in some sort of purgatory between innocence and truly adult relationships?

I have no conclusion, only my observations, my worries, my fears and regrets, and the hope I attempt to nourish, even when my reason suggests that to hope is foolish. "Le coeur a ses raisons, que le raison ne connait point".

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow- this posting hit home pretty hard. i continuously wonder why it is i haven't felt that sexual desire for a guy despite also appreciating the male body and actually having the desire to have sex. it seems like a contradiction. is it body chemistry? or like you asked, have i put up walls to trap my own desires in order to keep myself safe from getting hurt emotionally? i'm leaning toward the latter, as it is beginning to prove true in many ways through therapy, but it is wholly frustrating that i know this and yet have not been able to break down the walls. greatly insightful post, thanks Lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there...I have to say that I believe in this case you may be your own worst enemy. I know because for 22 years of my life, I was there. I'm not sure what the catalyst was for my walls breaking down, but it was probably when I met the guy that ultimately broke my heart. After you let those walls down for the first time, dating, romance, and all of the physical that comes with it just seems to get easier. So what was it that had my walls crumbling with my ex? I think that it was just a case of everything being exactly right. I was attracted, he was persistent, but then he left me wondering. And wanting. I began to find myself slipping, and fast. Now, I can't guarantee this situation will happen to you, but it is real and it's not hopeless and it happens. I'm living proof!

    My advice is to put yourself outside of your comfort zone as much as possible. Try new things, go new places and meet new people. The more people you're exposed to, the more likely you are to meet the guy that makes you want to break down the walls and just give in completely.

    You're 28, you're not 48. I know it seems like the clock is ticking, but these are the years that will change your life, as long as you keep an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting responses - glad to hear that you are working through things with someone, Queen Vee, and I empathise utterly with your frustration.

    itsmanderz - valid points, but so far, no joy. In the last year alone, I've widened my social circle by 100% or more, and have deliberately gone to events & places I would be likely to meet men I might have something, anything(!) in common with. Surely one might reasonably assume that in a city as large as London, in the space of a year, with such deliberate intent, either I would have met someone who was persistent as your ex was (or took an interest at all, frankly), or would at least have met someone who made me feel something of the physical attraction I was writing about, even if the feeling was not mutual.

    And yes, 28, not 48, but given the average age for first-time sex is approximately 17 years old, I sometimes feel as though I may as well be. Add to that the fact that I really want to have children, and would have liked to be married by now, as many of my friends either are, are about to be, or are in relationships that might as well be marriages, and the waiting gets a little much. It's good to know that it happened for you - adds to the hope bank - but it's not always as easy as 'go new places and meet new people', and, without wishing or intending to disparage your experiences, there's a big difference in the outside perception of a 22-year old with no relationship history - waiting for the right person, hasn't been lucky yet - and a 28-year-old in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see you back and wow, that post was very well written.
    I'll admit that when I was reading the first part of your post, the word 'asexuality' jumped out at me. I wasn't planning on saying anything until you said it. The possibility that you may not have met the right guy yet is feasible.
    I've wondered about my sexuality too and I think I've reached a medium- I'm straight but not completely straight. But I've gotten to that point because I do experience those things that you don't- I have felt the need to kiss someone or rip their clothes off or something similar to that.
    I've also talked to people who haven't. A conservative friend of mine claimed that she never felt any sexual feelings for anyone, including her fiance, until they were married. I think that could partly be attributed to her consciously repressing those feelings. So maybe, in that sense, you're actually subconsciously repressing them.
    The problem is that you'll never know until you have the opportunity to feel those things that you believe you don't desire.
    As for the 22/28 year old idea. I'm 22 years old. I already feel like an old maid. It started when I was around 20. In an age when 12 year old girls are sexualized and men have been having sex since they were 10... it's hard not to feel like an anomaly. I think the trap is when we fall for it- when we start believing that we're "weird" in some odd way. Yes, we're different but we are not weird. There are thousands of people living in London and more are virgins than they care to admit, many of them aren't virgins but they still have the same problems as us- they're lacking that ability to connect. That's why dating sites are rolling in the bills. To say that we're okay because we're "still young" or that we've had sex before means nothing.
    We are all single and, virgin or not, we are lonely. We are confused. We don't know why we're single and lonely and confused. We feel like we're the only ones but we're not. That's something that we shouldn't lose sight of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a 27 year old virgin and this hit home for me too. It wasn't until my mid-twenties until I started considering ripping off any guy's clothes (that I actually know). So I understand how it is to wonder if you are "asexual." And I wondered too if I'm "asexual" because I made myself that way. I wonder if libido is one of those "if you don't use it, you lose it," things?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can totally relate. while i had my first crush at 10 years old and pretty much had enough crushes as well as a few rare dates through the years to know that i definitely liked men, i never felt the need to have a boyfriend. i was always preoccupied with something else and seemed "asexual".
    in my mid 20s, i started to think that there was something wrong with me and tried putting myself out there in bars and online dating.
    on a few occasions i did feel that animalistic desire/attraction (possibly fuelled by alcohol that lowered my inhibitions) but never followed through 'coz ultimately those guys didn't really like me enough anyway and i've never been the type to just give it away.
    so my story ends (or starts?) on a happy note where at 29, i found someone who did care for me enough. i'm definitely physically attracted to him but it's not that animalistic desire. i sometimes wonder if maybe that's overrated anyway. that one shouldn't think too much bout obtaining that as long as you find a guy who cares enough and who you are physically attracted to.

    ReplyDelete